Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blog Post 11

Research Plan

#4

Purpose: My research plan is to help young adult writers understand what it is that makes readers cry to help them write scenes or characters that create that emotional response from readers. It might also help to understand other emotional responses or get a better understanding of how readers connect with stories.

Research Question:

What is it that makes young adult book readers cry when they read a book? Is it the writing? The reader connection? And connection to what: character or scene? And what kind of connection: emotional, similar circumstance in the past, family influences, influences of others, societal influences?

Information I need to gather:
Young adult books that made people cry
Readers of such books
Why people cry
Information on:
Crying and Writing
Crying and Society
Crying and Family/Upbringing

Preliminary sources:
Elizabeth Camp Perspectives in Imaginative Engagement
Sara Ahmad The Cultural Politics of Emotion
Laura R. Micciche Doing Emotion
Paula M. Niedenthal Psychology of Emotion

Plan for gathering information:
What I will be studying-
What makes readers of YA Books cry
Who I will be studying-
Readers of Young Adult Books (Preferably ones that cried)
Possible books:
Bridge to Terabitha
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Child Called "It"
(I'm thinking these ones are more popular, but if another pops up then I'm flexible)

Where I will be collecting information-
I will be collecting information from Kean University book readers, I have a class of Children's and Young Adult's Lit students I'm thinking of asking or just students in my English classes

How many subjects will I study-
I'm thinking 2 or 3

Methods I will use in my study-
Interview or Survey/Written Questions


Other possibly useful resources:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/22/books/essay-a-good-book-should-make-you-cry.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
http://www.helium.com/items/2294523-two-books-that-can-make-a-person-cry

No comments:

Post a Comment